Saturday, July 4, 2009

The quest for Post Office and the Rice Cooker!

Since I arrived here at Saudi, the first thing that I've asked the people here is "where's the post office?". I only got a hearty laugh from this people, well in the age of cellfone and email why on earth I would like to know where's the post office. My answer is simple: its not of your business..hehehe joke, its because my bestfriend is in the seminary and they are not allowed to use the internet (i doubt if they have one) so the only communication from the outside world would be by snail mail.

First try to find the post office is a trip near in our accomodation. A big sign says POST but when I enter the building the local man told me they are not a post office. WHAT!?!??! Sure?? I asked. Yes, we are only a P.O. box something to that effect kind of post office..I didn't get his explanation because he's english is bad (not as bad as my grammar naman hehehe). Though the local man was kind enough to tell me where's the local Post office. He asid I have to go to the city center, and there I can find the post office. Great! City center is as big as glorietta and greenbelt combined, how on earth should I find it there! Oh well, I'll just rely on my instincts and sense of direction.

Second try was this afternoon, I didn't wait for my friend to arrive and ask him to accompany me to the city center (thank god i did coz now, he's not home yet from qatif!) so I just went there by myself. Btw, its my first time to go to the city center, and being a newbie without any iqama (residence permit0 is really very risky! The walk going to that place took me about 25 minutes under the scorching heat (its 4pm and the temp is 38C).I manage to finish reciting the sorrowful mysteries from our house to the city center (without the litany of course), that's how far the place is.

Eventhough im here at the city center i didn't know where the post office is, frustrated i am i just went to LBC branch at Al Khobar. I was about to go to DHL but my patriotism comes first. The man inside LBC asked me whether im sending a very special documents, and after I said no its only a letter he told me to just go to the Post office. Again, flabbergasted i asked, where is the Post office ba? And since the courier guy is a pinoy he smilingly told me its just besides our store.Hahaha.r Great! And before I leave the place, i asked them how much is sending a mail to Philippines using LBC, he told me its worth 1800 pesos. Afer i learned that I immediately left their premises and proceed to Post Office.

In the post office there is a Pinoy and Indian staff, and after I gave my mail and paid the postal fee (its 48 pesos only here!!!) i've left the office with a happy heart and hoping that my bestfriend would read and reply to my mail.















Next on my action list is to buy rice cooker. Im having a hard time in cooking rice in my non stick pots. Obviously this pots are not used to cooked rice but I have no choice but to use it anyway. I manage to buy the rice cooker with brand name BEAC. I heard its the people's choicee as a rice cooker, but when i visit a couple of electronics store its the ONLY rice cooker in the market. In short no choice again! waaaaaa!

After buying the rice cooker and also food for my dinner, i went home happy and satisfied, while reciting again the rosary. God is good talaga, all the time =D.

5 comments:

BlogusVox said...

Dito, there are two kinds of post office. One for getting your mail and the other for sending it. Walang home or street addresses dito, walang postman na nag de-deliver. Puro P.O.boxes.

Rio said...

problema ko din yan.gusto ko kasing sulatan ang lola ko na hindi naman marunong mag email at gumamit ng celphone kaso sa labas pa daw ng ospital.kakatakot naman lumabas.(sigh)
dahan dahan sa pagkain ng bitay meal ha..sayang naman ang pag gy-gym mo..hehe=D

escape said...

hahaha... what an experience? what's good is i somehow get a feel of what it is to be away.

keep posting!

cook for us when you come back. the best you've learned there. hehehe...

Jerick said...

parang naramdaman ko naman na masyadong malayo ang saudi sa pinas. hehehe.

Theonoski said...

@ blogusvox
thanks sir for the advice.nagets ko na nga na ganun pala ang sistma dito.the one near in my house is the "getting ur mail" P.O.

@rio
kaya mo yan doc.try mo lumabas or magpasama kanalang sa mga friends mo.ako nung 1st week ko dito lagi ko kinakaladkad ung mga friends ko para lang samahan ako hahaha.

@ dong
sure, ill cook for you bro!yun lang pala eh =D.

@ jerick
yeah malayo nga, pag hindi ka marunogn mag email at magtext hehehe.thans for dropping by!