Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Banawe! Banawe!!

Nope, it's not Banawe, Quezon City where you can buy cheap car accessories (and sometimes if you're a victim of car thief, the stolen parts ends here) but the famous Banawe of North Luzon what 'm talking about. Let me give you a glimpse of the 4 day-3 night stint which happened over Holy Thursday-Easter Sunday and spent on our wonderful trip in the mountains of Northern Luzon.

Just a little background, I wasn't planning any trip for the Holy Week actually but when I heard Dong and JC talking about the trip to Masbate for the Holy week I invited myself to their trip. I've never been to Masbate before and surely my cowboy hat (which I bought in Iran 5 years ago!!) would certainly be fit there (yes, they are called the marlboro country of the phils.)

Then plans change, from Masbate the trip was diverted to Kalinga!! But the problem was how to get the ticket to Kalinga =(. So, before the Holy week i made rounds of calls to bus stations inquiring for available booking for the trip. Alas, all trip going to Ilocos, Abra, Tabuk and Banawe are already fully booked! As the hope dims Dong told me to check out Ohayami bus in Espana. And as if my lucky star is upon me, i get a chance to secure a booking for the Banawe trip! And come Palm Sunday, as me and my college friends are having lunch at Sonya's garden I invited them to the trip. After they said yes I ask Dong's permission to have them on the trip.

Come Wednesday night, off we go to Banawe: me, dong, olive and rose (my college buddies) and floro. The trip was actually not comfortable because the space in our seats are small. "Hirap talagang maging long-legged" LoL!

Then morning came we find ourselves in Banawe already. It was drizzling when we got off the bus and it was cold and foggy which I truly loved!! After the meet-up we headed to the "name of resto" to get some breakfast. The view from the resto is awesome! See....



Floro having his coffee by the window



The fog slowly rising from the rice terraces

Slowly...

Slowly...

And gone =)

After eating breakfast, photo-shoot here and there and charging our cellphones, we managed to get a van that will bring us to Bontoc, Mountain Province. Luckily Dong is very familiar with Banawe and he managed to ask the driver to stop at the viewpoint sections of Banawe for much-needed profile picture for Facebook (c'mon admit it, you like to update your facebook profile pic given a chance =P )




Olive and her crazy peep-thru-the-window pose


Oh-lalala Banawe Rice terraces!!

More of Rice Terraces!

What's with the arm spread thingy pose?! LoL!



Shopping! Shopping! Shopping!!!


As we headed to Bontoc, Mountain Province, we did pass some landslide affected roads leading to Bontoc. My first thought was we're lucky there's only one landslide affected road and it's easy to navigate the road. Little did I know this is just a "patikim" of the more "rugged-death-defying-holding-on-to-your-dear-life" trip from Bontoc to Tinglayan. I'll share you that experience on my next blog post. 


We did pass another viewpoint and we just have to ask the driver to stop. Luckily he obliged.


The communities are on the side of the mountain, it was awesome! And down below is their river (that I assume will pass thru Banawe as well).



A lot of awesome scenery can be scene on our way to Bontoc. But unfortunately we can't ask the driver to stop because we have other people riding in the van going to Bontoc. So we just settled ourselves with taking pictures while the van is moving, hence the blurred and not-so-great photos of the mountains and rice terraces.

Here are some shots while the van is in motion (thanks to Rose for the other pics below jejeje. Ikaw na naka-galaxy tab sa bundok!)










The best experience is yet to come....ABANGAN!!!

5 comments:

Pinoy Adventurista said...

kainggit naman kayu... i haven't been to Mt. Province... wahhhhh!!!

Can't wait for your next post.... abangan ko... =D

escape said...

hahaha... kakatuwa si olive. walang takot. saya nitong byahe. kaabang abang ang mga susunod na post.

it was hearing the locals in banaue say "ayan inaakyat na ang kurtina". referring to the fog above the terraces.

Jag said...

Cute, awesome, and breath-taking photos...I enjoyed looking at it...thanks!

Theonoski said...

hi pinoy adventirosta..thanks for dropping by. enjoy reading.yeah i highly recomend you to visit mt. province and kalinga

@ dong, masakit padin likod ko till now wahahaha

hi jag! thanks for dropping by =D

tina said...

Ganda ng Rice Terraces! :)