Last Friday, something unexpected happened to me. I made a quick trip around the City of Manila early in the morning. Yep, that's right morning time on a work week day. Thank God I need to go to Manila for my medical exam and got rejected since my passport was tampered (im renewing my passport now actually) and since i told my boss that I'll be at the office after lunch I had a lot of time to roam around Manila and discover the beauty (and madness i.e. the traffic) it has to offer.
1. First PitStop, Bookworm's heaven: The National Library
For weeks now im looking for this particular book "By Sword and Fire" by Alfonso Aluit. I've searched and inquire in almost all Powerbooks and National bookstore here in the south and in Makati area but sadly this book is already extinct (it was published last 1994).Still i didn't let my enthusiasm go down and I tried looking it in National Library of the Philippines. Luckily it's available there!
It's like Christmas comes to me that day.
Im so happy for my discovery. Though i can't borrowed the book because I dont have a library card (I refuse to get a id picture outside, heck i have a lot of 1 x 1 picture at home) and I can't bring it home either (its prohibited). So I scheduled myself on June 6, the whole day will be devoted in reading this book at the library.
2. Second Pitstop:Roaming around the Agrifina Circle
After National Library, I went to the Luneta Park area, and since im not too familiar with the area, I just found myself in the Agrifina circle. Great view if your in that area coz you'll have a clear view of the Ionic structure of Department of Tourism's and the National Museum.
Department of Tourism's building: ganda noh?!

One tip, if you want to enjoy the scenic beauty and tranquility of Luneta park, better visit the place during morning time of a weekday. Im sure you'll enjoy you're walk in the park =D.
And since im already in the area, i've tried to enter the museum, but alas, the museum will not open till 10:00am. Darn! It's only 8:35 when i arrived on the place!Oh well, might as well visit the place some other time.
By the way, the Museum's office hours is 10:00am-5:00pm Wednesday to Sunday.
National Museum building, where the Philippine artifacts are located

Side entrance of the building

Back view of the building

The other building of the National Museum, where the collection of prized Philippine paintings are located

Front view of the building.
And since i can't enter the premises of the building, i just content myself in looking at it from the outside and marvel the design of this buildings.

Third Pitstop: the Post Office Building.
Last but not the least, my trip won't be complete without visiting the famous Post Office building in Lawton. The majestic building on the side of Pasig river serves as a reminder on how mighty and important the Postal system was before. And since only a few people use snail mail, the building is not overcrowded same as before. This is indeed one of the beuatiful buildings Manila has.
Side portion of the building

Blurred picture of the hallway

Marker posted by the National Historical Institute of the Philippines.

Front view of the building




Old typewriter/postal machines used in their office.

Impressive as it may seen today but this buildings is not the original structure. It was re-constructed from the original plan since the original building was destroyed during World War 2, especially during the battle of Manila wherein the city was totally devastated by the retreating army of the Japanese and advancing forces of the Americans.
There's a lot of interesting buildings and spots in Manila like the Metropolitan Theater, Manila City Hall, the UST and FEU campuses, Malacanang Palace, the whole Intramuros area, Bayview and Manila Hotel, Quiapo, Dela Salle college, and many more that made their share during the war.
After I've read the book of Mr. Aluit, I''ll tell you more about it!
1. First PitStop, Bookworm's heaven: The National Library
For weeks now im looking for this particular book "By Sword and Fire" by Alfonso Aluit. I've searched and inquire in almost all Powerbooks and National bookstore here in the south and in Makati area but sadly this book is already extinct (it was published last 1994).Still i didn't let my enthusiasm go down and I tried looking it in National Library of the Philippines. Luckily it's available there!
It's like Christmas comes to me that day.
Im so happy for my discovery. Though i can't borrowed the book because I dont have a library card (I refuse to get a id picture outside, heck i have a lot of 1 x 1 picture at home) and I can't bring it home either (its prohibited). So I scheduled myself on June 6, the whole day will be devoted in reading this book at the library.
2. Second Pitstop:Roaming around the Agrifina Circle
After National Library, I went to the Luneta Park area, and since im not too familiar with the area, I just found myself in the Agrifina circle. Great view if your in that area coz you'll have a clear view of the Ionic structure of Department of Tourism's and the National Museum.
Department of Tourism's building: ganda noh?!
One tip, if you want to enjoy the scenic beauty and tranquility of Luneta park, better visit the place during morning time of a weekday. Im sure you'll enjoy you're walk in the park =D.
And since im already in the area, i've tried to enter the museum, but alas, the museum will not open till 10:00am. Darn! It's only 8:35 when i arrived on the place!Oh well, might as well visit the place some other time.
By the way, the Museum's office hours is 10:00am-5:00pm Wednesday to Sunday.
National Museum building, where the Philippine artifacts are located
Side entrance of the building
Back view of the building
The other building of the National Museum, where the collection of prized Philippine paintings are located
Front view of the building.
And since i can't enter the premises of the building, i just content myself in looking at it from the outside and marvel the design of this buildings.
Third Pitstop: the Post Office Building.
Last but not the least, my trip won't be complete without visiting the famous Post Office building in Lawton. The majestic building on the side of Pasig river serves as a reminder on how mighty and important the Postal system was before. And since only a few people use snail mail, the building is not overcrowded same as before. This is indeed one of the beuatiful buildings Manila has.
Side portion of the building
Blurred picture of the hallway
Marker posted by the National Historical Institute of the Philippines.
Front view of the building
Old typewriter/postal machines used in their office.
Impressive as it may seen today but this buildings is not the original structure. It was re-constructed from the original plan since the original building was destroyed during World War 2, especially during the battle of Manila wherein the city was totally devastated by the retreating army of the Japanese and advancing forces of the Americans.
There's a lot of interesting buildings and spots in Manila like the Metropolitan Theater, Manila City Hall, the UST and FEU campuses, Malacanang Palace, the whole Intramuros area, Bayview and Manila Hotel, Quiapo, Dela Salle college, and many more that made their share during the war.
After I've read the book of Mr. Aluit, I''ll tell you more about it!
6 comments:
i miss manila... i miss college!!! sigh
iba talaga ang maynila.
hinahanap hanap kita....
Deja vu! The place is very familiar to me. I used to walk to and fro in that area in my college days.
nice! i study nearby and i didn't know it's called agrifina circle. a tour inside Manila City Hall is also great
@gillboard
lapit lang manila, try to go there during wekend =D.
@hector_olympus
hahaha.nice quote.hahanap hanapin tlaga!
@blogusvox
dami bang naidate dito sir?hehehe
@jasperjugan
same here.i've spent my whole college days in mabila but recently ko lang di nadiscover this area.
a tour of manila i should try. ive been there but it's still exciting if you really have someone who knows about the history. just like the book that you brought. sarap umikot pagkatapos basahin yon.
Post a Comment